Combat System

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Combat System

Post  Aurzel on Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:40 am

After reviewing and a bit of personal playtesting of the combat system, I think the way it's set up, while well set out, needs a little review and stream lining.
For example: the bit about endurance and agility, losing 1 point each dodge/block doesn't really make a difference since even newer people have stats in the hundreds, it would take several hundred posts to wear down a character (assuming they dont get killing by hp loss of course) further what would happen when the two players' agility become equal? There's almost no element of luck to the system which basically says that you can tell who's going to win from the beginning of the fight and, in my opinion, isn't in the spirit of an rp.

There's a few other things, maybe we could take a look at the system here and if Korn is happy with our results, we can improve the system and make things more fun.

To start with I propose two quick things for us to start on, any proposals I'll add to this list and we can discuss and the results I'll put below.

1) Dodge should be set as a percentage so that even someone who has a lower agility has a small chance of success.
2) There should be a possibility of suprise attacks or rather off guard attacks whereupon if this result is rolled the opponent is unable to block or dodge the attack.

Aurzel

Character
Race: Saiyan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Combat System

Post  MeredithPunk on Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:19 am

I'll suggest adding a dodge/avoid limit so people don't just go dodging everything, maybe work out their dodge limit by dividing their powerlevel by 10 or more, you guys could probably whip some mutation of this up,
MeredithPunk

Character

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aurzel on Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:30 am

Actually for the dodge I was thinking of something more on a percentage table, I'll post an example a little later once I work through a few ideas

Aurzel

Character

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aurzel on Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:09 am

ok this is what i've been thinking for dodge:

Dodge Rate: Percentage of Agility of dodger compared to attacker

If both AGI are within 5% of each other - 50% chance to dodge

If attacker's AGI is 5-10% greater - 45% chance to dodge
If attacker's AGI is 10-15% greater - 40% chance to dodge
up to: If attacker's AGI is 45%+ greater - 5% chance to dodge

If defender's AGI is 5-10% greater - 55% chance to dodge
If defender's AGI is 10-15% greater - 60% chance to dodge
up to: If defender's AGI is 45%+ greater - 95% chance to dodge

that way everyone will always get a chance to dodge but obviously it will become much more difficult the slower you are, to the point where unless you're really lucky you'll get hit most of the time, and on the other end it comes to a point where most attacks will just pass through the air where you used to be standing

Aurzel

Character

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aurzel on Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:24 pm

here's a few more things i've been thinking about, let me know what you guys think:

First: You can either dodge or block not both.

Second: a slightly different hit table to give a bit of flavour to the combat and add a bit of an element of chance so that the victor isn't always guaranteed by higher stats (though of course much higher stats will mean you'll still win mostly)

To Hit: D10
1-3: Miss
4-8: Hit
9: Critical
10: Critical+

Critical: 1.2 times regular damage

Critical+: Power Attack or Quick Attack (Does critical damage - 1.2 times regular damage)
Power Attack - opponent cannot block, must dodge
Quick Attack - opponent cannot dodge, must block

Thirdly: a little something to mimic the drop in power as the fighters get beaten up
Exhaustion:
25%-50% hp - stats temporarily decreased by 10% till end of fight or healed
25%-0% hp - stats temporarily decreased by 25% till end of fight or healed

Aurzel

Character

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down